Shopping List for October 30 Meal Plan
Squashed Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni (or pasta of choice)
- 1 tablespoon butter/margerine
- 1 small onion
- 1 small pumpkin (2 cups cubed)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ cup milk
- ⅔ cup shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Cut the onion into thin rings and add to the butter in the pan, sauteing over low heat until fragrant and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin and the seeds from the squash. Cut the flesh into small cubes. Bring the broth to a boil and add the squash. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, reserving ½ cup broth, and transfer squash to the blender. Add the onions, milk, salt, and reserved broth and puree until completely smooth and creamy. This should yield about 4 cups sauce.
- Pour the pureed sauce over the cooked noodles and add the shredded cheese. Stir to melt the cheese; add water or milk to adjust consistency as needed.
Swiss Chard, Chickpeas and Feta
Serve as a main or as a side with your choice of protein.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6-8 leaves Swiss chard, center stems cut out and discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ brown onion (about 1/2 cup diced)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
- In a larges skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chard and cook, 1 to 2 minutes. When the first half has wilted, add the remaining chard. When all of the chard is wilted, add the vegetable broth. Cover the skillet and cook the chard until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the chard through a fine sieve (strainer) and set it aside
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until they are softened, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked chard and chickpeas and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Drizzle the lemon juice over the mixture and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle cheese on top just before serving, if desired.
Broccoli, Carrot, Broad Bean and Tofu Curry with rice
If you don’t eat tofu substitute your choice of protein.
- 1 cup cut broccoli pieces
- 1 cup broad beans, trimmed and cut to bit size pieces
- 1 cup carrot pieces
- 1 cup cubed tofu
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk or coconut milk
- 1 spring onion, diced (for garnish)
- Soak rice for 10 minutes, rinse in strainer
- Cook rice as per instructions on the bag
- Heat up frying pan on medium heat, add oil
- Add pieces of broccoli, carrot and broad beans until they are about half cooked, set aside
- Make the curry sauce: Add coconut milk to pan on medium heat. Rub together butter and flour until mixed, then mix in curry powder until blended. Melt the mixture slowly into the coconut milk, stir slowly to avoid lumps.
- Add tofu and vegetables
- Simmer on low head until veggies are soft
- Serve with rice and garnish with spring onion
Vegetable Crustless Quiche
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- grated cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut the zucchini, carrots, fennel, and onion into bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer all of the vegetables to a large bowl along with the whole garlic cloves. Toss with the olive oil and pepper.
- Arrange the vegetables on a large rimmed baking sheet and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil, stir the vegetables, then return to the oven.
- Scramble eggs with milk and salt
- Remove vegetables from oven. Pour scrambled eggs over vegetables.
- Sprinkle cheese over the egg and vegetable mixture.
- Turn oven to 200 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
Roasted Asparagus & Potato with Rosemary
- 2-3 clean potatoes
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and pat dry with paper towel. Allow potatoes to cool for 10 minutes.
- Wash, pat dry, and trim ends of asparagus.
- Remove leaves from 2 rosemary sprigs and finely chop.
- Cut potatoes in half and place in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp oil and ½ chopped rosemary to potatoes. Toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl toss the asparagus with 1 tbsp olive oil, remainder of chopped rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Spread potatoes, in a single layer, in a lightly greased roasting pan. Top with last rosemary sprig.
- Spread out in single layer and roast for about 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and turn the potatoes. Add the asparagus to the pan and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until the asparagus is cooked and the potatoes are golden brown.
Kohlrabi, apple and beetroot salad
· 1 kohlrabi
· 2 apples
· 1 beetroot
· 1 handful of coriander
· 1 garlic clove, crushed
· 1 tbsp cider vinegar
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· Salt and pepper
1. Peel the kohlrabi, cut in half and slice thinly. Core the apples and slice to the same thickness. Peel the beetroot and grate coarsely on a cheese grater or shred on a mandolin.
2. Mix together all the vegetables in a large bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients.
3. Stir well, taste and season - you can afford to be generous with the salt. Pile up on a serving plate and garnish with extra chopped coriander.
Avocado, Orange and Chicken Salad
· 3 oranges
· 1 lettuce, washed, leaves torn
· 1 large cooked chicken breast,sliced
· 1 avocado, cut into pieces
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
· Salt and pepper
1. Peel and segment 2 oranges.
2. Extract juice from remaining orange
3. Add lettuce, chicken, avocado and orange segments to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
4. Whisk oil, the orange juice and mustard in a bowl until well combined and toss with other ingredients in the bowl.