Balsamic Chicken served with Beetroot, Cucumber & Feta Salad
Substitute chicken with your preferred protein.
Ingredients for Salad
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp diced garlic
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Wrap clean, dry beetroot in foil and place on the middle rack in the oven. Roast for 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile place chicken in a baking pan. Combine garlic, vinegar, oil, honey, thyme , mustard, salt and pepper and cover chicken with the marinade.
- Remove beetroot from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Meanwhile increase oven temperature to 220°C/200°C fan-forced and place chicken in the oven to bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- As chicken bakes peel and discard skin from beetroot. Slice beetroot into 2cm thick rounds. Don’t forget beetroot stains so wear gloves and an apron!
- Cut cucumber into 2cm thick rounds and arrange on a plate with the sliced beetroot. Sprinkle crumbled feta and thinly sliced onion on top of the cucumber and beetroot. Mix together vinegar, oil, mustard, thyme and salt and pepper and drizzle over the lot.
- Serve the chicken hot and the salad cold. Yum!
Here is a *cukey* idea - add sliced cucumber to ice water to maximise quenchability!
Cauliflower Rice and Prawn Paella
Substitute prawns with your preferred protein.
- 1 head of cauliflower, clean and leaves removed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into disks
- 1 small onion, diced
- 10-15 prawns, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic, diced
- 4 pieces of saffron
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Salt and Pepper
- Handful of coriander, plus extra for garnish
- Grate cauliflower florets into a rice-like texture. Now you have cauliflower rice!
- Warm up a large pan over medium heat.
- Pour in olive oil and the carrot and onion to a pan, and sauté until the veggies have softened.
- Add diced garlic to the pan and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and sauté until the shrimp is no longer translucent.
- Add saffron, turmeric, smoked paprika, and chipotle powder and mix with the other ingredients in the pan.
- Add the cauliflower rice to the pan, add salt, pepper and coriander and stir over the heat until the cauliflower has softened.
- Garnish with extra coriander if desired, and serve.
Orange Sesame Tofu over Wilted Spinach
To make the dish go further serve over rice or noodles.
- 1 package of firm tofu cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 orange
- Large bundle of spinach, clean and dry
- 2 tbsp arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 3 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 4 tbsp sesame oil,
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds
- Zest on orange set aside. Squeeze juice from the oranges to make ½ cup of juice.
- Mix the arrowroot with two tablespoons of orange juice vigorously so that it dissolves completely.
- In a sauce pan, combine the arrowroot mixture with the remainder of the orange juice while mixing vigorously so no lumps form. Add 2 tbsp garlic, 1 tbsp ginger, 2 tbsp sesame oil, orange zest, and tofu.
- Remove from heat and ensure that the tofu is well coated in the mixture. Chill, and set aside at least one hour.
- After an hour, heat the tofu on a stove top over medium heat, stirring gently as to not break the tofu cubes. Cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, bring ½ cup of water to a boil in a large pot. Add spinach and steam, covered, until completely wilted, for about 30 seconds. Drain spinach immediately.
- Place spinach in a bowl and mix with remaining garlic, ginger, sesame oil. Spoon orange tofu dish ontop of spinach and garnish with sesame seeds.
Parmesan Asparagus with Poached Eggs and Home Fries
For breakfast,lunch or dinner.
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 3 cm cubes
- 5 tbsp butter, melted and divided
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano if available
- Salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Rinse potato cubes with cold water, and drain well.
- Add 2 tbsp butter to a large pan over medium heat. Place potatoes in the skillet, and stir to coat with butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, and cook for another 10 minutes, turning frequently until brown and crisp on all sides.
- Fill a large pan half way with water and bring to a boil. Add asparagus and blanch until crisp but tender. Remove asparagus from water, saving the water in the pot and reduce temperature so the water is simmering.
- Remove potatoes from oven and set aside. Switch oven to broil.
- Pat asparagus dry and place in a baking pan. Gently toss with remaining butter, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cheese and broil in the middle of the oven until cheese starts to melt.
- Meanwhile, add vinegar to the simmering water and crack eggs into the water to poach them. Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove each egg from the water, pat eggs dry with a paper towel and serve over the asparagus with a side of crispy home fries!
Deconstructed Vegetarian Lasagne
Delicious lasagne inspired dish without the fuss!
- Salt and pepper
- 500g penne pasta, or pasta of your choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup of broccoli, cut into 2 cm florets
- 1 zucchini, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1 small onion, grated or finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp basil
- 3 tbsp parsley
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt and add the pasta. Cook as per package instructions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add broccoli and zucchini and cook until almost tender. Add the carrot, onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and half the basil and parsley; simmer.
- When pasta is cooked drain it but save ¼ cup of the pasta water. Set pasta aside in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta and remaining basil and parsley.
- Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese to the pasta. Slowly add the pasta water as you stir the cheese into the pasta. Add tomato sauce and stir into the pasta.
- Scoop the ricotta mixture into each of 4 shallow bowls, then top with the vegetarian pasta.